21 February, 2019

Reflections on New Beginnings



I’m sitting outside on the veranda. It’s gently raining, calming the dust and wind of earlier, soothing the heat. The sound and smell of falling rain reminds me of new beginnings. It’s kind of late to be talking about new beginnings – ‘most everyone wrote those posts a month or two ago. But this passing storm reminds me that there’s no wrong time to start over, begin afresh, experience new inspiration. 

We’ve had a lot of summer storms the past couple of weeks. I’m not a fan of storms, generally speaking, but the rain, the change in temperature, the freshness it brings to the earth – there’s nothing more refreshing after a morning of dusty wind and humidity as the storm brewed. Maybe that’s how it goes with life as well. There are parts of change, of new beginnings, I dislike. It can be uncertain, uncomfortable. If I could see a clear transition from ‘this’ to ‘that’ with both clearly defined, and the exact steps to move forward, I might let go. But what happens when you feel like it’s a fresh start, but you can’t quite see where you’re going, what it’s the beginning of?

That’s how I’m feeling right now. I’m learning more of what God has for me, but there’s still so much in the haze. I can see a couple of steps forward, but I have no idea about the rest of it, or what the destination even is. For so long this is what has kept me from beginning; I wanted the whole picture so I could plan and organize – and procrastinate and freak out. I am a pro at finding excuses and believing them until I can see no way forward. But that’s all they are: excuses. 

Imagine if the storm around me operated that way. I don’t feel like raining today – who knows if it will even reach the ground! Maybe nobody will notice it. All my effort will be wasted! Or I might have to go through a wall of dust! That’s so hard and gross! It’s ludicrous to think about. God doesn’t make excuses – He says, He does. Nature carries His word through, even though it’s been thousands of years since He spoke it into action. 

We were made to operate the same way, and deep inside we know that. We feel disappointed when we don’t carry through with the dreams and visions God has given us. This only leaves one option: excuses are from the enemy. He sees the powerful difference for good we have if we follow through, so he tries to stop us. Therefore, if we are facing a barrage of excuses, we can be sure God is up to something good in us. They’re actual proof that something profitable lies on the other side. 

That’s the new beginning I can feel in my bones – a time to not let excuses win. To be like the rain, falling as God wills, come clouds, dust, evaporation. Because with Him, nothing is a failure, nothing returns without accomplishing what He has intended for it. May the same be said of me.

For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth no thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to th eater: so shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it. Isaiah 55:9-11

The rain has come down heavy now, the mist blowing in on my face. It’s cool. It’s refreshing. It whispers the hope of new beginnings. 

***

It's been awhile again, lovely people - how are you going? What have you been learning recently? How do you feel about the new year?

13 comments:

  1. This post is exactly what I needed today! I really like the analogy. <3
    -Brooklyne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica, you are amazing. <3 This post was so good + something I so needed to hear! Thank you for sharing.
    I love seeing the world through your eyes. God bless you!

    Sophy of sophyslighthouse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, sweet girl! It encourages me so much to know this spoke to you. May He bless you too. xx

      Delete
  3. Jess, this is beautiful. ♥ Recently I read Oswald Chambers where he said, "(God's) instructions to us will be along the lines of this: 'Don't sit or stand there, just go!'" As we face new beginnings, may we both just go forward in faith, trusting Him to do the rest. xx You inspire me, friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, those words are so true. Amen - I couldn't agree more! And God will hold true to His promises. I'm sure we'll be able to look back on this chapter with gratitude one day. Thanks for your kind words and input, friend! You inspire me too. :) xx

      Delete
  4. Great post, Jessica! There's so much uncertainty in the future, in new beginnings, but through that process we can trust in Him. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah! That's so true. It may turn out to be His greatest blessing in disguise. xx

      Delete
  5. This was so beautiful and I resonate with it so strongly because it's exactly where I'm at, too. A new beginning, with only a few steps visible but that whole plan just hanging out there still unknown to me. It's scary! It's exciting! It's where I need to be. But I totally get that it's hard to keep moving because you don't know the ultimate destination. I'm feeling that on such a spiritual level right now GAH. Loved this post! I hope you're having a wonderful end to your February. Can't believe it's nearly March!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you know exactly what I'm talking about! I'm glad you could relate. May we both keep pressing on, and keep on keeping on! Thanks for reading and commenting - and thank you! Hope March is going excellently for you. xx

      Delete

When you comment:

1. My day will be brighter, my face smiling, and my heart blessed.

2. I’m likely to immediately go and explore your blog (if you have one) to find out more of your amazingness, and return the blessing.

3. I will then attempt to craft a response to you that will somehow fail to convey how much I truly appreciate your thoughtfulness and kindness. I’m grateful for every word of encouragement you give, and don’t be afraid to share some constructive criticism also; there’s always more to learn. In short: thank-you! :)