21 December, 2018

He is the Answer




Kata Tjuta & King's Canyon, NT, Australia

Sometimes there aren’t answers. Call it maturity, maybe, I’ve been realizing there aren’t answers to every question. There are grey areas of faith that have to be wrestled out personally, between us and God. Sometimes there isn’t a ‘thou shalt’ or ‘thou shalt not.’

One of the biggest things about growing up is coming to your own beliefs and understanding. We’ve all been brought up to see the world, God, what we should and shouldn’t do, a certain way. And even if these things are great and true, they are meaningless unless we claim them for our own. Now is the time we take things on, alter some to fit our experience, and leave some behind. 

It’s healthy; it’s a necessary part of growing up and becoming our own people. But it’s also hard. I look at my friends, and we’re all going through the same thing. We’re changing. Some I now have less in common with, and whether it’s right or wrong, it’s sad to lose that. Some I have more in common with and it’s a blessing to connect more deeply with them. 

I’ve been wrestling with questions too. I see the choices others make, I observe the world around, and I notice I’m changing too. I’m an independent thinker, which I’m grateful for, but it leads me to want to know everything. I want the answers to the dilemmas I have, I want solutions to everyone’s problems, and I want to understand why people do what they do. Maybe then, I’ll be able to form conclusions. 

The verse in Matthew which says ‘seek and ye shall find’ came to mind when I was thinking about this. Didn’t Jesus promise answers? There are answers I’ve been looking for years, and I can’t find them. So, I opened my concordance to ‘seek,’ looking for a verse I thought I knew. But look what I found instead:

But if from thence thou shalt seek the Lord thy God, thou shalt find him, if thou seek him with all thy heart and with all thy soul. Deut 4:29

And thou, Solomon my son, know the God of thy Father, and serve him with a perfect heart and with a willing mind: for the Lord searcheth all hearts, and understandeth all imaginations of the thoughts: if thou seek him, he will be found of thee… 1 Chron 28:9

And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart. Jer 29:13

The Bible is talking about something much deeper. God doesn’t always give us all answers and knowledge. Interestingly, that’s what Satan promised in the very first temptation. He zoned in on our idea that to know everything would be like being God. But God is far more than knowledge and information, a big Father Google. He is love, He is peace, He is joy – and ultimately, isn’t that what we’re looking for? I don’t want the answers to my questions as much as I want peace from restlessness. Knowing without rest would only prompt another question. But knowing Jesus hits the root. Yes, I may not know what I think I need to, but I can have rest and contentment anyway. I might not understand why, but I can have peace and even joy. I may not have endless information, but I can have Jesus. That’s the promise. Seek and you will find God. Not necessarily explanations or logic, but God. It looks like I’ve been searching for the wrong thing.

Isn’t it precious to think about? God could give answers – He does give much wisdom and knowledge. He could satisfy our theoretical wonderings and leave it there, but no, He gives Himself. He sees us seeking, searching, wondering, questioning, and he comes to us Himself. 

Here’s the challenge for me, and maybe for you too. If, after all my searching, I find God, will that be enough? Will I allow His presence and majesty to swallow the questions? Will I let His rest calm the striving and desperation to know?

Some things haven’t changed since the Garden of Eden. I still want to know good and evil, but God still wants to share His heart with us in the cool of the evening too. I’m learning that is enough. Next time I get discouraged after praying for answers, and all I feel is the whisper of His voice telling me to draw closer, I want to see it for what it is: an invitation for communion with the Master Creator and Lord of all, who is Himself the answer. As C. S. Lewis said: 

I know no, Lord, why you utter no answer. You are yourself the answer. Before your face questions die away. What other answer would suffice?

~

Have you struggled with unanswerable questions? What do you think their purpose is? How have you found this growing-up stage of life? I pray we can all receive our questions and doubts as an invitation to come and know God more deeply. xx 

P.s I listened to this song again today, and I thought the second verse was especially relevant. Love is the answer.

10 comments:

  1. YES! So good!!!! I struggle with this a lot. I always want to know the why to everything -- the good, the bad, why I'm doing what I'm doing, why such and such has happened. God has really been teaching my heart contentment with the now though, with what I know now, with what is happening now, and leaving it to Him. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! It's so cool how God has been teaching you the same thing! Thanks for sharing. I always appreciate your comments, friend. xx

      Delete
  2. What can I say in response to this post?... how about AMEN SISTA!

    Yes, so very true. Sometimes we get so caught up in searching for answers that we forget that when it comes down to it He's all that matters. Of course it's not wrong to ask questions. I mean Habbakkuk is a book full of questions that Habbakkuk asked God, and what God replied. But the thing I probably love most about that book is that the book starts with questions and ends with praise. Habbakkuk didn't get all his questions answered, but he did realize that he could praise God through those questions and despite them.

    Thanks for sharing this post, Jess :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your first sentence made me smile! :) I'm glad you related to this! Mm, that's so good. We can praise and rejoice in God even if the way isn't clear. Thanks, Sarah! xx

      Delete
  3. As always, Jessica, I love your wise heart!! So much goodness and truth in this post. You are so right, He himself is the answer. Sometimes I struggle with treating God like a "Father Google" or a vending machine, just wanting answers or at least answered prayers. But He wants to drive us to Himself and the peace and fullness that comes from a relationship with Him. After 2018 I am just now learning, in retrospect, that His gentle leading is always, always best. Really resonated with this post and appreciate you writing it! I hope you have an epic start to your 2019 and continue to write, grow, learn. <3 :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Erin! I know the feeling - and sometimes it's even frustrating when God delays the answer to draw us closer to Him. But He does make it worth it.

      Such a good lesson to learn! I hope 2019 is a great year of growth and adventure for you too. Thanks so much for your comment! xx

      Delete
  4. I love this post, Jessica! <3
    -Brooklyne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Them compatible with most oscillating tools including These blades use the Universal Quick Release Arbor which makes them compatible with most oscillating tools including: Milwaukee and more. DeWalt, Fein (non-Starlock), Craftsman Nextec, Chicago, Cougar, Makita, Rockwell.tools heaven cut metal cut tile sharpen oscillating tool blades

    ReplyDelete

When you comment:

1. My day will be brighter, my face smiling, and my heart blessed.

2. I’m likely to immediately go and explore your blog (if you have one) to find out more of your amazingness, and return the blessing.

3. I will then attempt to craft a response to you that will somehow fail to convey how much I truly appreciate your thoughtfulness and kindness. I’m grateful for every word of encouragement you give, and don’t be afraid to share some constructive criticism also; there’s always more to learn. In short: thank-you! :)