07 February, 2015

Day Four - Joshua's Life Motto


I've been reading through the Bible, and at present, I just finished the book of Joshua. There seemed to be a recurrent theme throughout it... Can you guess what it was?

“Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee withersoever thou goest.” (Joshua 1:9)

These words, or variations of them, are mentioned seven times in the short book of Joshua. The first three times, it is God speaking to Joshua. Next, Joshua tells the people. Then the Lord again speaks it to Joshua, after they lost the battle of Ai. Once more God tells Joshua to fear not, in the battle with the five kings of the Amorites. Finally, Joshua repeats it to the congregation, when he is making his final speech, before he dies.

Three times also, when Moses was appointing Joshua to continue the work of leading the children of Israel, back in Deuteronomy, Moses 'charged' Joshua, saying “Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the Lord thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee.”

These words shaped Joshua's life: God gave them in the beginning, through Moses, God repeated them after Moses died and throughout Joshua's life, particularly during hard battles, until when Joshua himself was 'old and stricken in age' he passed them on to the people. It was like his legacy.

All this made me think, what is my life motto? What is something I live by, that I value so much I would want to pass it on to those coming after me? I can't say there is anything, but it made me think of a powerful quote by Martin Luther, that I found a couple of weeks ago: “God created the world out of nothing, and as long as we are nothing, He can make some thing out of us.”

That's what I want my life motto to be, in two senses. The first just what we've been talking about; I want those to be the words that I live by. Just imagine the possibilities there is for God to use us, if we're not full of ourselves! The second sense though, I want that to the theme people see when they look at my life. I want it to be obvious that I am nothing, and God is everything. It's like one of those equations in maths. "Solve for x: Nothing + x = Humans, us. X equals God." He's the only reason we're actually here, “for in him we live, and move, and have our being” (Acts 17:28).

Anyway, thanks for reading my ramblings... What are your thoughts on 'life mottos'? 

Jessica xxx :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

When you comment:

1. My day will be brighter, my face smiling, and my heart blessed.

2. I’m likely to immediately go and explore your blog (if you have one) to find out more of your amazingness, and return the blessing.

3. I will then attempt to craft a response to you that will somehow fail to convey how much I truly appreciate your thoughtfulness and kindness. I’m grateful for every word of encouragement you give, and don’t be afraid to share some constructive criticism also; there’s always more to learn. In short: thank-you! :)