23 April, 2013

More Value than Many Sparrows


I am alone in the kitchen wiping dishes. It is all quiet and still, except for the noise of me picking up and setting down the dishes. I look out the window. Right in my line of vision is a water tank. Its top is shaped in such a way that it will hold a little pool of water. Some gray birds, with yellow beaks and beady eyes, are having a great time playing in the water. I can see them standing around the edge. All of a sudden they jump in, and all I can see is water splashing everywhere. Then they reappear and shake themselves dry. They do it again and again. Some of the more adventurous birds hop onto a branch of the partially overhanging bush and dive in, headfirst. More splashes. More birds shaking themselves dry.

In the bush behind the tank I can see some parrots. They are eating the yellow flowers on the bush. Their bright green, yellow, and red feathers stand out amidst the dull green bushes around them. I watch as they walk along a branch, which bends with their weight. Then they bend over and nibble at the flower. Suddenly they fly away, screeching all the while. I wonder why they make so much noise. Surely if they don’t want something to get close to them making noise is not a good way to keep hidden. Then it occurs to me that that is their way of warning anyone who will listen that there is danger.

Just observing these little spenders of God’s creation, so well coloured, so unique, so interesting, reminds me of a song:

I see the sunrise, reflecting off the dew,
The tiny prisms, sing out a song of You,
I see the river, a washing up with spray,
All nature worships, the One who made the day.

So here’s my song to thee, O God of majesty,
Though I can’t even sing, like a lowly sparrow,
My trembling voice I raise, I want to join the praise,
I lift my joyful soul, the one that You made whole.

The crash of thunder, resounds across the hills,
An awe of you Lord, within my heart instills,
The vibrant meadow, aglow in violet bloom,
May I reflect them, whose simple theme is You.

So here’s my song to thee, O God of majesty,
Though I can’t even sing, like a lowly sparrow,
My trembling voice I raise, I want to join the praise,
I lift my joyful soul, the one that You made whole.

Just simple harp strings, brought forth a melody,
The little shepherd, he sang his song to Thee,
No symphony to sing, just a song on silver wing,
O Lord, how lovely, the humble song to thee.

So here’s my song to thee, O God of majesty,
Though I can’t even sing, like a lowly sparrow,
My trembling voice I raise, I want to join the praise,
I lift my joyful soul, the one that You made whole.
                                                                                                       -Machela Toews

If God put so much thought into creating these winged wonders, with their shapes and sizes, their interesting habits. If He knows all about them, and cares about them, so much so that he knows when even one of the tiniest ‘worthlessest’ birds fall to the ground, how much more is He going to care for, to look after, to love, you and me, human beings, who are made in his own image?

Luke  12:6,7   Are not five sparrows sold for two farthings, and not one of them is forgotten before God? But even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not therefore: ye are of more value than many sparrows.


No comments:

Post a Comment

When you comment:

1. My day will be brighter, my face smiling, and my heart blessed.

2. I’m likely to immediately go and explore your blog (if you have one) to find out more of your amazingness, and return the blessing.

3. I will then attempt to craft a response to you that will somehow fail to convey how much I truly appreciate your thoughtfulness and kindness. I’m grateful for every word of encouragement you give, and don’t be afraid to share some constructive criticism also; there’s always more to learn. In short: thank-you! :)