26 April, 2016

84, Charing Cross Road & The Duchess of Bloomsbury - A Letter

Dear Helene,

It’s not proper for me to call you by your first name, without even a ‘miss’ or ‘ms’, but as I know you’re not fond of that degree of properness, I hope you’ll excuse me.

I found a copy of your delightfully charming book, 84, Charing Cross Road, as I was browsing at an op shop, and I immediately purchased it. I’d acquired a copy of it from the library some time before, and it was hard to give back, a feeling I think you know. So it was exciting to find a copy I could keep in good conscience, and how fitting that I got it second-hand for a cheap price, being the poor student that I am! It was only when I got the book home, that I realized that it also included the sequel to 84, Charing Cross Road, namely The Duchess of Bloomsbury. I’d definitely scored!

Helene, you finally made it to London!  I’m glad you got there, although it was disappointing to read your description of the empty desolate bookstore. It would’ve been such a fitting ending to have you arrive at the store you’d so long imagined, and see the shelves that housed the books, the hands that packaged your parcels; to see in it action, a word which must be one of your favourites, it fits you so well. Nevertheless, it was good to read that you finally made it to London, saw the places you wanted to see, experienced the city, met friends, and were treated as royalty. Tell me, what does it feel like to be famous? 

Your descriptions of London, the surrounding places and countryside, deepened my desire to experience it for myself one day. Perhaps I’ll have to wait until I write a book and get famous. And your reaction to making it to London: it was like you had come home, and every page, I expected to read that you’d decided to make your stay there permanent. But then you were always comparing it to your New York home. Which one felt more like home? Did you ever miss London, or go back?

I’ve now read 84, Charing Cross Road twice, and The Duchess of Bloomsbury Street  once, and I can envisage myself reading them again – perhaps curled up with a blanket with a holey woollen jumper and unfashionable slacks (yes, I wear them too), dreaming of books and knowledge, and faraway places. It’s such an uncharacteristic non-fiction story, and tells so much about you all simply through your correspondence. 

You’re unconventional, and perhaps a little explosive and self-willed at times, which a little less gin may have helped. But I have to say, Helene, the world, especially our modern age, needs more people like you. We need people who put their all into everything, who take opportunities to put a smile on someone else’s face, and who thoughtfully provide for other’s needs –from pork to pantyhose. And we could use a little more written correspondence and appreciation for quality literature too. 

Thank you for entertaining and inspiring me. All the best always,

jg



So, have you read 84, Charing Cross Road or The Duchess Bloomsbury? Do you enjoy epistolary books? What have you been reading lately?

24 comments:

  1. I think I may have read a few epistolary books, and I do like them, though I can't think of any I have read and I have not read any recently. I have never read any of those ones, I have currently been beta reading a book and reading and reviewing an ARC of Songkeeper which is now released.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've read and enjoyed a few too - mostly non-fiction ones. In my experience it's hard to find realistic epistolary fiction.

      That must be exciting to beta read, and get to review an ARC! Have you had either of those opportunities before?

      Anyway, thanks for reading and commenting, Clare!

      Delete
  2. I've never read this, or any epistolary books, though I have one waiting for me to pick up on my kindle, but your review was so cool. Definitely pulled me in. I love how well you write! Both those books sound like ones I would enjoy.

    Thanks for stopping by @ Scattered Journal Pages!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Amanda and praise God! Which book is it you're planning to read on your kindle sometime? (I'm always up for new book suggestions! :D) Yes, these books are very easy reads - perfect for something light to read on a slow day, and it's a pretty good story too. :)

      Delete
  3. Hello dear Jessica! Lovely work, as always. This was such a unique way to review a book-- absolutely brilliant. The books sound amazing too, I will have to check out. The cover itself is very nice.

    Recently, I finished "For Such a Time" by Kate Breslin-- have you read it? It's been pretty controversial, about a Nazi who falls in love with a Jewish girl. Anyway, I found it to be extremely well written, despite not being the biggest Christian-fiction fan (too cheesy). I would definitely recommend it! The only think lacking (or should I say, not lacking) were the ultra-descriptive kissing scenes. Not my favorite. I feel like they kind of have a tendency to kill the vibe-- things can be way more romantically intense with minimal kissing (Pride and Prejudice, for example).

    Have a lovely remainder of your week! Blessings. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you! All credit goes to God - I'm surprised this even ended up being coherent because I wrote it very late one night. Yes, I thought the cover was nice too. :)

      I've heard of For Such A Time before, but no, I haven't read it. It sounds interesting! I seem to enjoy reading books from that era, so I'll keep an eye out for it. Thanks for the recommendation!

      You have a great week too, and thanks again for your encouraging comment. :)

      Delete
  4. The only epistolary book I've read is "Ain't We Got Fun" -- I remembering wondering at the time, if I would like the style, and I did! So I'm definitely interested in this one!
    I loved your letter, and how the review itself was a reflection of the book style. Thanks so much for sharing it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ain't We Got Fun is a very enjoyable read, isn't it?! I haven't got the book, but I read it when the authors first wrote the letters on their blogs. A hard copy is definitely on my wishlist for one day though. :)

      I think you would like this book - it's a quick read, and quite funny at times. Helene certainly was a character, so it makes for enjoyable reading!

      Thank you so much for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  5. I've never read either of these, but now I think that I may have to. Have YOU ever read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society? It's about a writer, a book club, and the island of Guernsey right after the German occupation of WWII.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you would enjoy them! No, I haven't read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (isn't that title a mouthful though!), but would you believe, I picked up a copy of it (with a really nice cover too)a couple of weeks ago, so it's just sitting on my shelf here waiting to be read! It sounds really interesting.

      Thanks for your comment and recommendation, Janie - have a brilliant day! :)

      Delete
    2. Oh my! That is a happy little coincidence, isn't it! I hope you enjoy it. I got the audio book version and listened to it twice back to back.

      Delete
    3. I now understand why you would've listened to the book twice! I just read it last week, and really enjoyed it. :) It reminded me a bit of Helene Hanff's books, actually, so you probably would enjoy them!

      Delete
  6. AAHHHH THE WAY YOU WROTE THIS IS SO COOL. <3 *flails a little* Hmm I've never read an epistolary book before, but this looks super interesting! And this is such a brilliant and creative review!!

    abbiee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you so much! It just seemed natural to write a letter to Helene after reading a book full of her correspondence. And yes, do try an epistolary book one day; I've enjoyed the ones I've had opportunity to read!

      Delete
  7. This is such a lovely review! I loved reading it, it was so unique.

    I've unfortunately never heard of these books before, but now I really want to go read them. They just sound so cool! I've never read any epistolary books before :/ I just don't seem to come across them very often, but that might be because I read a lot of YA sci-fi and fantasy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and I've also tagged you for something, if you're interested in doing it: http://victoriasoceans.blogspot.com.au/2016/05/tags-of-many-multitudes.html

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your kind words, Victoria! Yes, epistolary books seem to be far and few between; I've only read three, I think. But do check out these books if you have opportunity - they're great reads!

      Thank you for your comment, and the tag as well! I'll check it out. :)

      Delete
  8. This was one of the most fun reviews I have ever read! Definitely made me want to read the book!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Me again Jessica! If you think it looks like fun I just tagged you for the Top Ten Villains tag--
    http://createdbythecreated.blogspot.com/2016/05/top-ten-villans-tag.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank-you, Lydia! It was fun to write too, and it'd be great to hear your thoughts if you do read either of books sometime! Thanks for the tag as well. :)

      Delete
  10. This was such a unique way of writing a book review. I loved it. Sounds like such an interesting read. I have never heard of this book before but now it sounds like something I would love. Thanks for sharing.
    Check out my blogiversary giveaway over on my blog.

    Joanny :)
    imachoccakeaholic.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! I can't take credit for writing a review as a letter, because I first read the suggestion in someone else's post, but I thought it was a really good idea too!

      Oh, I'm glad you found another book you'd like to read! What genre of books do you mostly enjoy reading?

      Thanks for letting me know about your giveaway; I'll check it out. :)

      Delete
  11. Wow!! I've never even heard of this book, but your post makes me want to read it! You write beautifully and this is so charismatic and sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you for your sweet comment! And yes, do take a moment to read the books if you ever come across them - if you like reading or writing, or London, or eccentric characters, you'll like them. :)

      Delete

When you comment:

1. My day will be brighter, my face smiling, and my heart blessed.

2. I’m likely to immediately go and explore your blog (if you have one) to find out more of your amazingness, and return the blessing.

3. I will then attempt to craft a response to you that will somehow fail to convey how much I truly appreciate your thoughtfulness and kindness. I’m grateful for every word of encouragement you give, and don’t be afraid to share some constructive criticism also; there’s always more to learn. In short: thank-you! :)