24 June, 2013

On my mind...

A couple of days ago my sister read a story to us about a girl named Amy. Amy was struggling to accept the fact that her family were going to Africa to do mission work. Then she had this dream:

"Cocoa-coloured children surrounded Amy where she sat cross-legged on a mud floor in a tiny hut. Their dark eyes gazed up at Amy in mute appeal as they pressed in around her. Some of their stomachs were swollen from malnutrition and the little clothes they wore were tattered and dirty.

Amy's heart melted as a grimy little toddler climbed into her lap and wrapped little brown arms around her neck. Another girl snuggled up to her side, and a little boy plopped down at her feet. Soon hosts of little children were surrounding her, pressing in closer and climbing all over her. Amy had no idea where they were all coming from.

It seemed their dark brown eyes and eager hands were longing for something. Amy tried to help. She opened her mouth to speak, but no words would come. She felt entirely helpless.

And yet, the children came. Soon the hut was full of tiny children. Some lay on the floor moaning. Two toddlers climbed into her arms, crowding the former occupant out. Others simply stared with chocolate brown eyes full of hurt and longing. A few clung to her skirt and whimpered to be held.

But still more children came. Amy was beginning to think the hut would bulge at the sides when she glanced out the door to see scores more of little boys and girls hobbling, walking, crawling, running, always coming toward the hut.

Amy tried to once more to speak, to somehow comfort the little ones who stared so sadly at her. But no words came. She tried to gesture her love for them, but they only stared in confusion. Finally, one by one, they filed back down the dusty path, stopping occasionally to throw her a look of hurt and longing that knifed Amy's very being."

This description really just - I don't know. Spoke to me? I feel like Amy, how can I help them? 

Also this morning I did a survey that told me about how many slaves I have working for my family. Guess how many? 57... 57 people, mostly children, are working, slaving, to make the things my family uses. Our clothes, our mobile phone, our gadgets... 

(You can find out how many slaves your family has working for you at http://slaveryfootprint.org)

These things have just really been on my mind...


////////////////////////////////////////////////

Now listen to this letter from a girl who benefits from the money I give to Amazima. 

"Dear sponsor,

I greet you in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

I am writing for you this letter to remind you that I love what you are doing for me.

First of all I thank you for the great work done of paying my school fees and I am very happy because I'm in Amazima ministry.

My name is Namkumba Betty. I am in primary five. I am 11 years old. I love playing net ball. I love playing net ball and I love playing with my friends. My best best friend is Kisakye Rebecca and I want to become a nurse in the future.

From your loving child,

Namkumba Betty"

Isn't that just so sweet? It really made my day when it came in the mail...

Anyway I know this is a bit of an all-over-the-place kind of post, but, like I said,  it's just what I've been thinking about of late. :) 

2 comments:

  1. I like the letter. :) and she wrote it especially to you?

    anyway, I know that this post is not all over the place and it is very good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, the letter wasn't especially to me. With Amazima you aren't actually sponsoring a particular child.The money you give helps them all. They just send you a copied letter from the child that they are 'spotlighting.'

    ReplyDelete

When you comment:

1. My day will be brighter, my face smiling, and my heart blessed.

2. I’m likely to immediately go and explore your blog (if you have one) to find out more of your amazingness, and return the blessing.

3. I will then attempt to craft a response to you that will somehow fail to convey how much I truly appreciate your thoughtfulness and kindness. I’m grateful for every word of encouragement you give, and don’t be afraid to share some constructive criticism also; there’s always more to learn. In short: thank-you! :)