27 April, 2013

Giving



This morning I finished reading ‘Bridge Called Hope’. Yes, it is the second time I’ve read it, but it is so good, and I know I will read more than twice. Here are a few paragraphs from the epilogue that I thought were really good. J

“One of my favourite accounts in the Bible occurs when Jesus was about to feed five thousand people. Jesus, already knowing what He was planning to do, gave His disciples an opportunity to bless all those present by giving ‘hope’ in a unique form – food.

Although the disciples had a treasurer among them who had a small amount of money, when they saw the enormity of the task – the feeding of thousands – they shrank back, completely overwhelmed. Knowing that they did not have enough resources to accomplish the task at hand, they immediately conceded defeat.
Instead of giving something…something… they chose instead to give nothing at all…

…Thankfully, the story does not end there. Somewhere, lost within the hungry multitude, a little boy held up his hand. A kid came from the back and gave the disciples his lunch – five little loaves of bread and two fish. In the face of the famished masses, it wasn’t very much. But it was everything he had…and he gave it all.

Jesus took the little boy’s gift, prayed over it, and began to pass it out to everyone. Each man would break off a large enough portion of the bread and fish to feed his family and then pass it on. Everyone ate – everyone- until they were completely full. When the leftovers were gathered, there was enough to fill twelve huge baskets!

In my simple way of thinking, the whole point of the story is that if we offer nothing to God…that is exactly what we can expect to happen. But if we give something – even a little thing – God can take whatever we’ve offered and turn it into something amazing. It is not up to me to decide how the Lord will use my gifts… it is only up to me to give them. Jesus is the One who makes the meager work of my hands into something remarkable, something effective, perhaps even life-changing.”                                                                  Taken from ‘Bridge Called Hope’ by Kim Meeder pages 239-240          
                                                                                                                                              
 This reminds me of the story about the widow who gave to the temple treasury all that she had. Even though it was only two mites, nothing compared to the amount the rich men and Pharisees gave, it was all she had. A gift isn’t measured by the amount given, but the amount left. 
                   
“And he looked up, and saw the rich men casting their gifts into the treasury. And he saw also a certain poor widow casting in thither two mites. And he said, Of a truth I say unto you, that this poor widow hath cast in more than they all: For all these have of their abundance cast in unto the offerings of God: but she of her penury hath cast in all the living that she had.” Luke 21:1-4

How much will you choose to give Jesus today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

When you comment:

1. My day will be brighter, my face smiling, and my heart blessed.

2. I’m likely to immediately go and explore your blog (if you have one) to find out more of your amazingness, and return the blessing.

3. I will then attempt to craft a response to you that will somehow fail to convey how much I truly appreciate your thoughtfulness and kindness. I’m grateful for every word of encouragement you give, and don’t be afraid to share some constructive criticism also; there’s always more to learn. In short: thank-you! :)