11 December, 2017

What Does the Bible Mean to You?





Hellfire bay, Cape Le Grand, Western Australia 
 

Maybe you’re like me. I know the Bible is the word of God, full of practical truth and wisdom, but my life doesn’t always reflect that. I’m on a break from study at the moment, and the first things I thought of doing in my spare time were: finally read some books, catch up on blogs and emails, and work on a couple of projects. There’s nothing wrong with those things, but today I felt prompted: why wasn’t my first thought to spend more time in the Bible and prayer? Why aren’t those things my priority? If a stranger were to see a log of how I spend my time, would they know I am a Bible-believing Christian?

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the Lord; and in His law doth he meditate day and night. And he shall be like a tree planted by rivers of water, that bringeth forth fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper. Psalm 1:1-3

This is the incredible thing about God: He only counsels us to do what will be best for us. Reading the Bible isn’t a theological ritual to make us feel holy; it’s interacting with the Divine. It’s not about formalism or legalism; it’s because God knows we’ll be blessed, encouraged, strengthened. His word is powerful, life-changing. We’ll have constant refreshment, like a tree growing next to a river. We’ll not only grow in our personal life, but produce fruit to benefit others. The psalm continues: ‘his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.’ That’s a promise made by a God who cannot lie. But the condition of the promise being fulfilled, is for us to delight in God’s word, and meditate on it day and night. It has to become a part of us.

It’s tempting to sustain the Christian life with second-hand faith – hearing someone else’s experience with God, or reading inspirational Instagram captions or Pinterest pins. They can be encouraging, but we can get it directly and personalized. If they’re good, the source can only be better.
  
Come, everyone who is thirsty, come to the waters! Also, you that have no money, come, buy, and eat! Come! Buy wine and milk without money and without price. Why spend your money on what is not bread, and your labour on what does not satisfy? Listen carefully to me, and eat what is good, and let your soul delight itself in rich food. Pay attention to me, come to me; and listen, so that you may live… Isaiah 55:1-3

It’s speaking to me. I’m spending time in things that don’t satisfy, while God is offering more than I can imagine. Will I choose to prioritize Him and His word? Will I go to the Source and have my own connection with God rather than trying to gain it through others? Will I give time to His word, knowing that the results will not only nourish me, but be a blessing to others?

It’s a challenge – and I write because this is where I am; not to shame you into reading the Bible. But this is life everlasting, and communion with the Creator we’re talking about. It’s far superior to anything else we can experience. But as it is written: no eye hath seen, no ear has heard, and no mind has imagined the things that God has prepared for those that love him. 1 Corinthians 2:9 Will you join me?

16 comments:

  1. This is just what I'm going through right now. I often get on the laptop before reading my Bible or plan to work on projects before I've had time with the Lord. Thank you so much for this, it is surely convicting which is good!!! We need to be convicted and I believe that God wanted you to post this. So thank you <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, you're not alone, Paige. Praise God this spoke to you - and thanks so much for your encouragement. Your second last sentence was a real assurance to me. May we both strive to keep Him as the focus of our lives! xx

      Delete
  2. oh..Jessica! you do it every single time - you make me think. Thank you so much!! but yes..yes, I'll join you <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, you're so kind. It's all Him. :) I'm so glad we're in this together - thanks for your comment, girl! xx

      Delete
  3. Convicting..... It’s really easy for me to just spend time in God’s Word for just ten or so minutes and go on with my day. I really want to spend a lot of time in God’s Word and learn a lot, but it’s easier to spend a few minutes reading a passage and do something else. God’s Word is something to be cherished, it’s sustaining; though I take that forgranted often. Thank you for this reminder Jessica :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Convicting.... it’s easy for me to spend a few minutes reading God’s Word and going on with my day. But God’s Word can strengthen and renew us, it’s what we need to read. Thank you for this reminder Jessica. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That's the part that gets me, because often I do read the Bible, but only briefly, while I may spend hours on another book or activity. But as you said: His words are what sustains us. They deserve our attention! Thank you, Sarah - your faithful reading and commenting blesses me so much. xx

      Delete
  5. The Word of God: An ever relevant topic of conversation and personal consideration. As seems to be the case fairly often, I feel as though God has been directing my thoughts in a similar way recently. This prayer was originally the psalmist's of Psalm 119, but I want to make it mine: "Direct me in the path of your commands, for there I find delight." I really appreciate your posts, Jess! Thanks for being an instrument available for God to use. He is good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true; spiritual disciplines and the aim of getting closer to God are always relevant to the Christian life. I know I benefit from reminders! It's amazing how He teaches us similar things, and that's a prayer I want to be my experience also. Thanks for sharing and for your encouragement, Jordy! He certainly is good. xx

      Delete
  6. I've been struggling recently to really get into God's word - it's not always but God understands the struggles, which is very encouraging.
    Beautiful photo! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - I feel like our fast paced life is making it harder and harder to dig into the Bible. But I like your conclusion: God knows, and He gives strength. Thanks, Kara! xx :)

      Delete
  7. ah jessica!! thank you so much for this. i have been doing better at personal devotions but now that school is out I am really trying to get back to His word <3 this is beautiful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome - praise Him, as always! I'm glad you've been able to spend time with Him - I know what you mean, though. I'm trying to give it more time over the holidays too. Thanks so much for your comment! xx

      Delete
  8. hey, I just found your blog :) This post was an expected part of my day today, but it spoke pretty clearly to where I'm at right now. "Buy wine and milk without money and without price" -- that verse really struck me, 'cause so many things today have a price. Really high prices that make us not want anything to do with the thing. But God's offering me something without a price, so thanks for this post reminding me of that :) <3

    Caroline @ carolinemeek.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Welcome! :) Yes, that verse spoke to me too. God's gift is incredible, really - He offers us something of immeasurable value as a gift. You're right; things do seem to be expensive. Thanks so much for the comment - I will check out your blog too! :)

      Delete

When you comment:

1. My day will be brighter, my face smiling, and my heart blessed.

2. I’m likely to immediately go and explore your blog (if you have one) to find out more of your amazingness, and return the blessing.

3. I will then attempt to craft a response to you that will somehow fail to convey how much I truly appreciate your thoughtfulness and kindness. I’m grateful for every word of encouragement you give, and don’t be afraid to share some constructive criticism also; there’s always more to learn. In short: thank-you! :)