15 June, 2015

Love Thinks No Evil



“[Love] thinketh no evil.” (1 Corinthians 13:5)

We've all read it before, and we all know what it means. We're not to think of evil things, we're not to think evil of others. But, we're also not to think evil of ourselves. We can appreciate our need for salvation, and our unworthiness to receive it, but love thinks no evil; no evil of others, no evil of ourselves.

Think about it this way: I if saw someone and said of them, “She's ugly. She's useless. She never does anything right. How can she ever be a Christian.” You would called that thinking evil, right? Now, if I look at myself, you look at yourself, and say the same thing, how is that any different? “I'm not good enough.” It's evil thinking. Love does not do that.

It struck me from two aspects. 1) I shouldn't put myself down. I'm made in the image of a God who never makes mistakes. 2) God is love, so we ought to realize that He is not thinking evil of us either. He's not looking down wondering why we can't be better people, why we can't stop messing up, when we'll ever be good enough. Love does not think like that, and Love is God.

And that is freeing.









How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God! how great is the sum of them!
 Psalm 139:17

6 comments:

  1. It's true... But it's hard! It's brave of you to write about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. :) And yes, it is hard... I wrote this for myself as much as for anyone else really.

      Delete
  2. Wow, this kinda hit me. You opened my eyes a bit wider...and thank you for that, because in life, good friends, good books, big hugs and eye openers are all necessary.
    You write beautifully, flawlessly.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Tane. Your comment quite made my day. :)

      Delete
  3. This is so true, Jessica. . . thank you for sharing! I often need to remind myself of the value placed on my life, and how much God's love for me ought to make me live my life knowing that I belong to Him, conscience of that thought, and not always putting myself down and imaging how terrible I am in my personality, character, etc.

    I have God's love in my heart and that makes my life a truly beautiful thing, full of intrinsic worth, by His grace and precious blood.
    Thank you so much for sharing!
    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly right. :) Thanks heaps for commenting!

      Delete

When you comment:

1. My day will be brighter, my face smiling, and my heart blessed.

2. I’m likely to immediately go and explore your blog (if you have one) to find out more of your amazingness, and return the blessing.

3. I will then attempt to craft a response to you that will somehow fail to convey how much I truly appreciate your thoughtfulness and kindness. I’m grateful for every word of encouragement you give, and don’t be afraid to share some constructive criticism also; there’s always more to learn. In short: thank-you! :)